You’ve been diagnosed with an asbestos-related condition, you have a million questions, and your doctor has advised you to look into making a claim for asbestos compensation – where do you start?

Get a specialist solicitor

Do some research and find a solicitor who specialises in asbestos disease claims. All of our solicitors at Asbestos Justice are experts in these claims. Asbestos compensation claims are far more complex than standard personal injury claims so make sure that whoever you speak to knows what they are doing.

What asbestos condition have you been diagnosed with?

There are a number of asbestos-related conditions that you can claim compensation for:

If you have any letters or reports from your treating medical team, have these to hand to go through with the solicitor.

Where were you exposed to asbestos?

In order to advise whether you are likely to be able to pursue an asbestos compensation claim, your solicitor will need to know what company/companies you worked for when you were exposed to asbestos. They will also need to know what you were doing and how often you were exposed to asbestos. It helps to know the approximate years you worked there too, if you know them. Don’t worry too much about dates though. As part of your claim your employment schedule will be requested from the HMRC and this will detail your employers since 1961/62.

Do you have to pay?

Our specialist solicitors act on a no win, no fee basis. You won’t be asked for money upfront and if they aren’t successful in your case they don’t get paid. They will take out an insurance policy on your behalf which covers any disbursements such as hospital records, if the claim is not successful.

If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma, you will receive 100% of any compensation recovered. For any other asbestos-related condition, a percentage of the damages recovered is taken to pay some of the costs. The percentage may vary from company to company so you may want to shop around. Our specialist solicitors will never take more than 25% of damages recovered, this includes any medical report fee and insurance premium. Some companies may charge these on top of the percentage they take for costs so you need to be aware of this.

The company you worked for is long gone, can you still claim?

Asbestos claims are usually brought against companies from the 1960s, 70s and 80s. Not surprisingly, a lot of these companies no longer trade and have been dissolved. This is not necessarily a problem. For claims where you have been exposed to asbestos at work and the company no longer exists, our specialist team can carry out insurance searches to trace the insurers at the time you worked for the company. Unfortunately, in some cases, we are not able to trace insurance. In these cases, our solicitors will assist in applying for compensation through Government schemes. Thankfully, in a lot of cases insurance can be traced and an asbestos compensation claim can be pursued.

Once our specialist solicitors have established:

  • What asbestos-related condition you have been diagnosed with;
  • Whether there is a company or insurer to pursue; and
  • Whether you have enough evidence of exposure to asbestos,

They will be able to advise whether they can pursue a claim on your behalf.

How can we help?

If you require assistance in pursuing an asbestos compensation claim then please contact us today on our freephone number 0800 038 6767. Alternatively, head over to the ‘Contact Us’ page, complete the form and we will be in touch.

Share Button