Asbestos Justice has recently discovered that more than £430,000.00 in mesothelioma compensation has been paid out to two former local council workers.
The payments were made to a caretaker and decorator following their exposure to asbestos dust in the former Clwyd County Council area (now Flintshire County Council). The information was released under the Freedom of Information Act and which confirmed that the compensation had been paid from 2012 onwards.
Asbestos Justice fears that the sufferers will not be the last to develop incurable asbestos related conditions such as pleural thickening, asbestosis, lung cancer and the asbestos related cancer, mesothelioma.
We have uncovered that the first payment was made by Flintshire County Council during 2012/13 in the amount of £256,000.00 to a painter and decorator who was exposed to the deadly dust whilst working on council buildings.
In 2014, a further payment of £181,000.00 was paid to a caretaker who had developed mesothelioma after being exposed to asbestos in a local school. A vast legacy of asbestos materials remain within schools nationwide.
The council recently stated:
“The very nature of asbestos related illnesses means that the original exposure to asbestos dust and fibres will have occurred many years ago (typically 25 to 30 years). There have been two insurance claims received by the council resulting in payments during the past five years.
Both claims are in respect of people who worked for the former Clwyd County Council and both claims have been paid by the insurers on risk at the time of exposure.”
Statistics issued by the Health & Safety Executive between 2010 and 2012 showed that there was a death rate of 50 per million people due to asbestos related mesothelioma.
Whilst the asbestos compensation settlements are the only 2 recorded pay-outs in the Flintshire region, Asbestos Justice regularly represent sufferers who have been exposed to asbestos in their work for local authorities.
Currently, we are dealing with two cases where our clients have suffered exposure to asbestos when working for the Norwich Corporation (now Norwich City Council) and for what is now known as Wirral Borough Council.
Post Second World War constructed houses may contain a high level of asbestos products within their make up. Asbestos was used in the construction of house and garage roofs and drains and was also used by carpenters and decorators to line, insulate and finish interior walls and ceilings.
Many people may still be living in houses with asbestos artexing present on their ceilings. Artex was a commonly used decorative coating applied to ceilings within a vast amount of council properties right the way through until the 1990’s. The use of white asbestos was not banned in the UK until 1999.
It is feared that reported cases of diagnosed asbestos related disease will not peak until 2016 to 2020 and it is well known that asbestos is considered to be the largest industrial killer in the UK.