Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme

What is this and how do you claim?

If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma you may be able to claim a payment from the government. Generally, you would only pursue this option if you are unable to make a civil compensation claim against the employer who exposed you to asbestos.

Primarily, we help people to make compensation claims against the employer(s) who exposed them to asbestos, or their insurer. You can learn more about making a claim for civil compensation by clicking here.

If it is not possible for you to do this, we provide vital support and legal advice to help you to claim compensation under the government’s Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme (DMPS).

Types of payment

There are 2 types of payment that you can claim for:

  • Diffuse mesothelioma payments (the ‘2008 scheme’);
  • The Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme (DMPS).

Below we explain the difference between the two types of payment. Importantly, if we can locate your employer or their insurers then it is often better to claim compensation directly from them. This is because you are likely to receive more compensation.

If you are diagnosed with mesothelioma after 2012 and  your employer or their insurers cannot be traced, we would recommend that you consider the second type of payment – the Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme.

The 2008 scheme

Under this scheme, you will receive one payment. The amount of money you get depends on how old you are when you are diagnosed. For example, someone who is 37 or under would receive £90,097. However, it is rare for someone under 50 to develop the disease. The average age at which people are diagnosed with mesothelioma is 75.

Under the 2008 scheme you would only receive £14,955 if you are diagnosed at the age of 75.

Are you eligible?

Generally, you will be entitled to claim a one-off payment under this scheme if you are unable to claim a payment from an employer or via a civil claim. For example, if you were self-employed or do not know where you were exposed to asbestos. You also need to be ineligible for a payment under the 1979 Pneumoconiosis Act.

You must claim within 12 months of diagnosis.

Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme (DMPS)

Under this scheme, the amount you receive also depends on your age. You are likely to receive a higher payment amount under this scheme than under the 2008 scheme.

Are you eligible?

To claim under this scheme you must have been diagnosed with mesothelioma on or after 25th July 2012. Your must have developed mesothelioma as a result of being exposed to asbestos in the UK. As with the 2008 scheme, you can only claim if you cannot trace your employer or their insurers and you have not already made a civil compensation claim.

Unlike the 2008 scheme, under this scheme you may be able to claim if you were the dependent of a sufferer who has died. This means that if you are either their spouse, or a child under the age of 18, you can make a claim through this scheme.

You must make a claim within 3 years of your diagnosis.

Importantly, you can claim for compensation under the DMPS even if you have already claimed under the 2008 scheme or under the 1979 Pneumoconiosis Act. The amount you previously received will just be deducted from your DMPS payment.

You may be able to claim from the 2008 payment scheme if your DMPS claim is unsuccessful.

Speak to us about applying under the schemes today

You can call us for free advice on 0800 038 6767 or use our contact us form here.