Government Claims

Disablement Benefit for Industrial Injuries

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) can be claimed when a disease such as mesothelioma, asbestos lung cancer, diffuse pleural thickening or asbestosis, amongst others, has been caused by work.

Who can claim?

A person exposed to asbestos in the workplace on or after 5th July 1948. The employment must have been in the UK and the person must have been liable to pay income tax. You cannot claim IIDB if you were exposed to asbestos when self-employed.

How do I claim?

An application form is submitted to the DWP. If you would like assistance in completing the form please contact us on 0800 038 6767. We will not charge for this service.

How much will I receive?

The amount you receive depends on how much your disease affects or disables you. You will be assessed by a doctor who will decide on the severity of your disability due to your disease. You will normally need to be assessed as 14% disabled or more to be eligible for IIDB.

Here is a guide as to the amount you may receive:

Assessed level
of disablement
Weekly amount
100% £174.80
90% £157.32
80% £139.84
70% £122.36
60% £104.88
50% £87.40
40% £69.92
30% £52.44
20% £34.96


Please note this is only to be used as a guide and awards may vary.

Please be aware that there are time limits for submitting applications.

What do I do if my condition deteriorates?

If you feel that your condition has worsened, you can apply to be reassessed and your award may be amended appropriately.

What other benefits might I be eligible for?

You may also be eligible for the following benefits:

  • Constant Attendance Allowance (CAA);
  • Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance;
  • Reduced Earnings Allowance (REA);
  • Personal Independence Payment.

You might also be eligible for a lump sum payment under the Pneumoconiosis Etc. (Workers’ Compensation) Act 1979 (PWCA). This is available for people with mesothelioma, asbestos lung cancer, bilateral diffuse pleural thickening or asbestosis who are unable to make a civil compensation claim. This may be the case where the negligent employer is no longer trading and no insurance cover to pay the compensation can be traced.

We can assist you in establishing whether you can make a civil compensation claim for your asbestos condition and if you cannot, we can assist you in applying for a payment under the PWCA scheme, free of charge.

You need to be in receipt of IIDB to be eligible for a PWCA payment and the application must be made within 12 months of the IIDB application. If you are the dependant of someone who has sadly passed away due to an asbestos-related disease a claim must be made within 12 months of the date of death.

If you would like to know more please contact us on 0800 038 6767. We’d be more than happy to help guide you through the applications.